Wednesday, May 23, 2012

CSA Pickup 1

So, last night I picked up our first pickup from the CSA. You'll probably recognize some of the veggies... The upper left big leaf veggies are collard greens (1 bunch), to the right of that is all simply lettuce greens that I piled into a bowl (.5 lb), and the last on the top right with the yellow flowers is the Hon Tsai Tai. The bottom row from left is lettuce (1 bunch), and then broccoli with the leaves still on (.5lb). So, I love collard greens already, so I was excited to see them in this week's share. They look far fresher and better than the grocery store version. All I do is rinse them off, rip all the leafy part off, discard the stem, rip up the leaves into smaller pieces, and sautee it in olive oil for about 5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. So, last night I was making a chicken piccata, so I had it will collard greens and a little side salad made out of the lettuce mix and lettuce head that we received, with some small fixings on top. Everything was delish! Strangely, as I was watching the Bachelorette on demand, I kept thinking about wanting to try the Hon Tsai Tai, which I had never cooked or eaten. I did some research online on how to cook it, season it, etc. Basically every part of the plant is edible-stems, leaves, flowers. So I took a few pieces, and snapped off the bottom stems (similar to asparagus) and chopped it all up on a cutting board, and threw it into a sautee pan with olive oil. I basically seasoned it the same as the collard greens, with salt and pepper. So I had a little Hon Tsai Tai at 930pm :)It was pretty good! I liked it and look forward to eating it again.
Anyways, I am finding myself wondering how I can incorporate the veggies into my breakfast...that could be interesting. AND I was feeling somewhat disappointed that I was having a lunch meeting today, as it meant I couldn't expirement more with my veggies. Ha! On the bright side, I recall thinking when we decided to buy the CSA that it would help me eat more veggies, and it's already working-tonight I will definitely have some of my veggies with dinner, and will make a salad with lunch tomorrow...good things for sure! :)

1 comment: